Coronavirus: Bleaching powder mixed disinfectants harmful for human body
Following the coronavirus pandemic citizens are now aware of disinfecting their surroundings with hypochlorite mixed water solutions.
But health and chemical experts however warned that the solution will cause harm to external parts of the human body.
World Health Organization (WHO) and DGHS have given guidelines to make a solution to disinfect surroundings. But the solution is harmful the human body, especially the eyes and face.
After the coronavirus outbreak, many city corporations used hypochlorite solutions on disinfect city streets.
Grocery shops, government offices, local organizations and people also used the solution to disinfect their places.
In Dhaka, few organizations also installed special tunnel, which sprays hypochlorite solution while walking through it.
However, experts do not recommend the solution as it harms the eyes including different parts of the human body.
On April 16, the DGHS issued a circular to all civil surgeons instructing not to use bleaching powder solution for disinfecting people.
“This type of disinfectant is not statutory as per WHO guideline. DGHS also follows the WHO guideline,” the circular added.
On April 14, voluntary organization "Artanad" installed a disinfection chamber at Mirpur. But it was stopped from using after the circular was published.
One of the initiator and member of Artanad team Nurul Huda while speaking to Dhaka Tribune, said: We did not use hypochlorite solution. ‘Virucide’ was used as disinfectant inside the chamber instead. But we stopped it due to the circular issued by the DHGS .
Prof Tofail Ahmed Chowdhury, dean of Science Faculty at Dhaka University, said bleaching powder solution can cause harm to external parts of the human body, especially for those people with allergies.
“If anybody needs to go outside, I suggest using normal soap to wash their hands external body,” he said.
As per the recommended guideline, properly made bleaching powder solution can be used as disinfectant. But whether it would be harmful or not depends on ratio of active chlorine, Tofail added.